Friday, October 10, 2008

A Horrible Suprise

My cat Mim has no front claws but is the best mice and bird catcher around (i know, i am posting about my cat, whatever). He has spent his last 6 or so summers bringing his prey to the back porch of whatever house we have been in and showing us his catch. I will never forget the time when my family and I were sitting at my kitchen table and my brother was sitting by the door and he let my cat out. No joke, less than a minute later he was peeking through the door with the biggest bird in his jaws. He was obviously proud, and since my entire family was there he must of felt the need to show off. Anyways, Tavis had his camera and took a quick picture for me. After the picture we were not really sure what to do because Mim just sat there with the bird still in his jaws waiting for some kind of a response. We decided to open the door (writing this now I have no idea why we did that, so many things could of gone differently) Mim dropped the bird, came in the house, and walked right past us like non of us were there. I have never minded that my cat did these things because I figured a dead mouse outside is a mouse that would not be inside my house alive. Not long after we moved here Mim was somethings prey and was injured right in the middle of prime mice catching season. He is now recovered but has been a little scared to go outside since his incident. I have noticed that he will make some brave attempts to go out but is never gone for long. Now to my Horrible Surprise, this morning when Haylie was getting ready for school she noticed a dead mouse in Morgans room with Mim hanging around it. I have no doubt that it was Mims kill, but the question is, was it in the house when he killed it or was he showing us his kill and brought it in from the small amount of time he has spent outside. From the bird story we know it does not take him a lot of time to stalk, pounce, and kill, but was that the case this time? Someone with a glass half full would say "at least the mouse is not alive in your house." I would agree with that optimistic person but I do find myself a little nervous today. There are lots of animals up here and its getting cold, I just hope that mice are not finding a way into my house to keep warm. I do have Mim, and I have confidence in his abilities but dead mice, better than alive mice, are still not my idea of fun. I have to stop and give a shout out to my cat, so when he reads this he will know we appreciate him and his skills (it's official, I am crazy). I know this has probably been extremely interesting to all my loyal readers and if you did read this post to the end I do apologize for the length. I am going to get back to my life and hope for no more surprises, dead or alive. I would prefer to not post again about mice, and if I don't you will all know that the matter has been resolved. Lets just hope for that, and now I am going to give my other hunter a treat.

1 comments:

Sandra said...

We have mice, just a few come in every year, and I don't like it at all, but with the hill behind my house, I think I'm stuck! At least you have a mouse-catcher; I don't. Hopefully you won't see any live mice anytime soon.