Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A sad day for Drew

Today was very traumatic for my sweet little boy. I will start the sadness by telling you how much Drew loves preschool. He is always asking if its Tuesday or Thursday because he knows those are the days he goes to school. Monday and Wednesday nights are easy to get him to bed because all we have to do is tell him that he has school the next day. He loves the kids at school, when we pulled up the first day and saw all the kids he said "look mom, its all my friends!" He feels so big in his backpack and loves that he gets to go to school like his sisters do. Everyday after school we go through his backpack and admire his artwork or whatever happens to be in his bag and he is so proud. Anyways, this morning he woke up excited, as usual for any day that he gets to go to preschool. I took him to school and it was going to be a great day because it was brown show-and-tell day and Drew got to take his bear with him. When I got there to pick him up after school I went to the door and noticed that he was crying, which is very strange because he is in the best place ever, School. His teacher brought him over and said that he and another boy got into a fight. Over what? I am not sure, Drew was crying and needed loves so I just got the basics, but apparently this boy punched Drew and gave him a bloody nose. Drew was heart broken . I think his feelings were hurt as much as his face. Drew is so sweet and does not have a violent bone in his body and the fact that one of his "friends" could actually punch him in the nose, I think was just to much for him. I know kids are kids and maybe Drew was being a pest but come on, no one hits my Drew, hes just to nice. In the car he was telling me that Davey was bad, that he hated him , and the worst insult "Davey is not my friend!" As much as my protective motherly instincts wanted to go back and give this Davey, and his mom, a bloody nose I tried to calm Drew down and tell him that maybe this boy was having a bad day and that he would be nice on Thursday. The teacher said that the boy did apologize so I guess forgiveness is a good lesson. We went to Grandma and Grandpa Henderson's and they helped Drew feel better, I think that he just needed lots of loves to mend his little heart. He seemed to feel better tonight, I on the other hand have seriously been sick to my stomach all day. Obviously there is nothing I could of done to prevent it but no one wants to see their child get hurt or have his feelings hurt. When Haylie and Morgan got home from school I told them (not around Drew because I did not want to remind him) and they were really upset about it. Both of them went right to him and gave him a hug, I thought it was sweet that they were also in instant protective mode for their little brother. I know these things happen but I did not want him to experience something like this, ever, but also so small when he has such a innocent outlook on life. He is so friendly and loves everyone, its just a sad sad day.

2 comments:

Janet said...

What is worse for a mother than seeing their child hurt & being helpless to do anything about it - especially knowing how sweet Drew is & that he would not have provoked it. I feel your pain. On the other (but still painful) side of it - at some point we all find out that there are a lot of not so nice people out there. He'll be stronger the next time.

Amber said...

I'm so sorry. It hurts me to read the story!!