Thursday, February 19, 2009

Biggest fears

I just got home from a pressure cooking meat and beans class that my friend Yolanda taught as one of our wards mini classes for enrichment. Holy crap! that stuff is so over my head, its ridiculous. I could have been listening to Japanese and understood that, as much as I did about pressure cooking. The other people there knew what she was talking about, even gave what I am sure would be helpful hints, if I spoke Japanese. Some of them have even used a pressure cooker to make a roast for a regular every day dinner. I do think the whole idea of it is great, already cooked meat, open up a bottle throw it in enchiladas, or stew, or whatever, its fast and easy. Price wise its a very good idea as well, canned chicken is very expensive, I do not think I have ever seen canned beef before (never looked for it). It keeps for a long time, so if some thing did happen to the freezer (where I now keep all my meat until needed) I would have another option. So the concepts of storage, price, convenience all make sense to me, actually using a pressure cooker totally freaks me out! I have bottled 1 time in my life and was very nervous about it, and it did turn out to be easier than I thought it would. Maybe using a pressure cooker will be too. NOT LIKELY!!! You have to think about altitude, and how much water, and how much heat, and a bunch of other stuff that I am apparently to stupid to understand. I really want to be able to do this, I think the results (if I don't blow anything up) would be really beneficial and a good skill to know. So I will conquer my fears, and pressure cook chicken (as soon as it goes on sale at maceys) and with Yolanda holding my hand the entire time, I will have bottled chicken and maybe beef. As a side note I am told bottled deer and elk are actually very good when you add some special pressure cooking voodoo to the mix. For us that would be great because we never eat what Justin kills (nor does it go to waist because we usually give it to his workers) but for food storage for my family, if it does taste good, that would be great. I don't know why I am so worked up about this, maybe its because I know so little about canning foods, fear of the unknown? Lately I have seen how fascinating cooking can be, and how much cooking is really a science and I feel like I have so much to learn. I can store wheat and beans and whatever, but when disaster strikes what do I do with it all? Step #1- find out where you can buy a pressure cooker, Step#2- buy a pressure cooker, Step #3- read all instructions, Step #4- call Yolanda because I CANT READ JAPANESE! Wish me luck! I'm going to need it! One more question, Does it confirm that I need to get a life when I'm posting about pressure cookers?

2 comments:

Sandra said...

I'm with you! I don't have a pressure cooker, either, although Yolanda has tried to get me to buy one. Maybe someday!! Good luck!

Amber said...

Teach me when you are feeling fearless!!! I want to learn how!!!