Saturday, March 15, 2008

My Grandpa


My sweet Grandpa Barney passed away tonight. He had been sick in the hospital for a few weeks and we knew his time was near. So after our fun day with Paige we went to the hosptial to give him our love and to say goodbye. I am so glad that my family was able to see him
because just hours after we left the hospital so did he. These past few days with him in the hospital have been a little strange for me. I tried to keep a logical and positive outlook, one- to think that he could get better, go home, and live a few more years, and two- if this was his time to go I knew that he would be at peace and be done with his suffering. Either way I felt that I could handle whatever hand we were delt and that I would be just fine. As much as I thought I was prepared to hear the news that he was actually gone, the words still left me broken hearted and full of tears. I am lucky, I have had a grandpa for 31 years. I know alot of people who don't have grandparents and I am very blessed to have had one for so long. I also have lots of memories to keep with me, I know that my 2 older girls have memories to take with them as well. My 2 younger kids may not remember him but I am so greatful that I have pictures of him with all my kids. When they get older and see him in their scrapbooks I can tell them that they are sitting on there great grandpas lap and that he loved them dearly. My grandpa loved babies he was always able to get my kids to coo and talk to him. He always said "Tell Grandpa a story" they would look at him and just bable. My Grandpa used to count my ribs. He would say "We need to count your ribs" So i would go sit on his lap he would lift my arm start at the bottom and count up. I usually had only 6 or 7 ribs but every number was a silly anticipation because I knew how bad counting ribs tickled. I got to see him count all my kids ribs its a silly memory but I will always treasure it. He was also a great story teller and he had lots of stories to tell. I loved to hear his stories about when he worked for the phone company and about the war. He had lots of grandkids and great grandkids and he loved us all. Most of all he loved my grandma who died over 10 years ago. I am happy for you grandpa, I am happy becausethat you are not hurting anymore, I am happy because I know that you are finally at peace. I am sad because I will miss you dearly, I am sad because I will have to drive past your house that I have gone to for so many years and know that you are not there, I am sad because I wont be able to see you count my kids ribs or to get a scratchy kiss from you because your facial hair was so rough. I am blessed to have had you in my life for as long as I did, I am blessed to be a part of you, I am blessed that I have so many memories to choose from when I need them, I am blessed to have the gospel in my life and to know that this is not the end for us. I love you grandpa, I will miss you, go and be happy. Love, Nat

7 comments:

MELANIE said...

I love you Nat. And I echo many of your feelings about Grandpa. I will miss so much.

Unknown said...

Nat, you really discribed grandpa just like he is. It brought back lots of unforgettable memories. I know that he knows what you wrote and how much he loves all of us. I am sure going to miss him and his stories, but I don't think I am going to miss the rib counting too much ha ha. I love you sis and just remember that he is with grandma now and able to watch over us and keep us safe. We can talk later but I love you so much and call me if you need anything. Love, your little sister Katie

Janet said...

hello nat,
i sure love you. this was beautiful. we love our dad and will miss him.
love, your favorite aunt
suzie

. said...

So sorry to hear about your grandpa.I love you and am thinking about you.Love Millissa

Sandra said...

So sorry to hear about your grandpa, Nat. But you're right; thank goodness for the gospel and that you know he's with your grandma now, and that it's not the end. Hugs.

Tavis Johnson said...

What a sweet, sweet Grandpa, Father,and man he is. He is sure loved by everybody that knows him. I am so sorry, he will surely be missed. He sure had the sweetest, tenderest stories and feelings for your Grandma. You just know they were sooo excited to see each other right now. I love you guys so much and my prayers are with all of you. Love Leslie

Janet said...

Your beautiful tribute to Grandpa portrayed him perfectly. His family was the most important thing to him & even as the babies grew up, he always remembered special things about each of them. The way in which his posterity love & honor him says it all. He has left a big hole in our lives, but we are so blessed to know that his love & concern for us lives on.